Friday, September 23, 2011

The Firmament

This week we learned about the atmosphere.

Monday: I don't remember.

Tuesday:
We used our senses to discover "air".
  • We felt air (fan)
  • We smelt air (I sprayed some body spray in the air)
  • We saw how air moves things by blowing bubbles by a fan
  • We saw the power of air by launching a stomp rocket
  • There were some other experiments we did, but I can't remember. I finished off the day by explaining that just because we can't see something, it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Wednesday: We learned how air movement creates weather
  • We made a hot air balloon by filling a garbage bag with hot air from my blow dryer
  • Talked about hot/cool air movement make wind
Thursday: Water cycle
  • I boiled water with a glass lid on it, the kids saw how eat made the water evaporate, and then watched the water condense on the lid. Occasionally I would lift the lid up and we would watch the water "rain" down.
  • It happened to be raining that day, we set out a container to see how much rain we got in an hour. We measured the water.
  • We discussed how different parts of the world receive different amounts of rain. I made the kids run around and get really thirsty. Then, I gave them the amount of water they would have received in a desert (it was so little, they wanted more). Then we measured with a tape measure how much water a rain forest gets.
Friday: Clouds
  • We made the different types of clouds using cotton balls, paper, and glue
  • We used a prism to separate light and talked about how water in the air can separate light and make rainbows.

No comments:

Post a Comment